Friday, December 7, 2012

Candy Cane Toffee

Toffee!!!! Mmmmmmmm. You may have guessed, I really love toffee. It's one of my favorite holiday treats. I thought it would be fun to shake things up and sprinkle it with crushed mints this time and it turned out super awesome!

 
Candy Cane Toffee
1 c. sugar
1 c. (2 sticks) salted butter
3 T. water
handful of white chocolate chips
handful of dark chocolate chips
crushed starlite mints or candy canes (I used 10 mints)
 
 
 Prepare the pan by lining it with parchment or foil.
  I crushed my mints in a ziploc bag. You can do this however you want.
 I wanted some large pieces so I didn't completely pulverize them.
 In a large pot, heat sugar, butter, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium(ish) and continue boiling until it turns a deep golden brown. (My thermometer read 350 F, but I would just watch it until it looks right.) My mom would always tell me that it was ready when it was the color of a brown paper sack.

 Pour onto prepared pan.
 Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips.
 After about 5 minutes, gently spread chocolate chips around. I love that swirly look!
 Sprinkle with crushed mints.
 Now wait for it to cool....the hardest part.
 Meanwhile, I salvage whatever is left on the sides of the pot.
 When it's cool, break into pieces and devour!
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do! I am planning on making SEVERAL more batches of toffee this season. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment