Monday, September 17, 2012

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

When I saw a recipe for brown butter chocolate chip cookies, I just had to try them. The process of browning the butter renders a wonderful toffee-like flavor to these amazing cookies. Just make sure you don't bake them too long...unless, of course, you want crunchy cookies.
 
 Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from Ambitious Kitchen)
1 c. (2 sticks) salted butter
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla (I recommend the real thing)
1 t. baking soda
1 T. cornstarch
2 & 1/4 c. flour
2 c. chocolate chips (the chips really make the cookie, so choose a good quality)
coarse sea salt for sprinkling (optional)

 
In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
 Once butter has melted, bring to a boil.
 Boil until it turns a deep amber color (mine took about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and cool for about 10 minutes.
 Pour browned butter into a mixing bowl. Add sugars and mix well.
 Add eggs and vanilla.
 Mix vigorously for 1-2 minutes.
 Add baking soda, cornstarch, and flour.
 Add chocolate chips and mix until dough is combined.
 Transfer to a tupperware (or just cover the bowl with plastic wrap) and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm, but scoopable.
Heat oven to 375 F. Using a cookie scoop, scoop cookies onto a cookie sheet (I always line my cookie sheets with parchment). Sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
 Bake at 375 F for 7-8 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet. They'll still look pretty doughy but they firm up as they cool so don't overbake.
 Don't you just want to take a bite? :)
This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies. I couldn't stop eating the dough so I got 3 1/2 dozen. I hope you enjoy these as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment