Monday, January 14, 2013

Chocolate Pancakes

I think I've made this recipe 3 times in the past week. Yesterday I made a vanilla sauce to serve with them. My hubby was pretty happy because we essentially had dessert for breakfast. The pancakes themselves are actually quite healthy, but the sauce...not so much. Each time I made them, I tried a different sauce with which to smother them. Coconut butter is also a great topping.

Chocolate Pancakes (adapted from Minimalist Baker)
1 & 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. cocoa
3 T. sugar
4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 c. almond milk (I used original flavor)
2 T. oil
1 t. vanilla

Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
 Add wet ingredients and mix well. Batter will start get fluffy as it sits.
 Cook on a hot, greased griddle.

 As for the topping...feel free to go crazy! Really, what doesn't go with chocolate??? I tried vanilla sauce, chocolate sauce, and peanut butter sauce (recipes follow).
Vanilla Sauce
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. milk
1 t. vanilla

Combine all ingredients and whisk thoroughly.



Chocolate Sauce
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
6 T. almond milk, half & half, or heavy cream
1 t. vanilla

Combine chocolate chips and almond milk in a bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals and stir until smooth. 


Peanut Butter Sauce
1 c. milk (I used almond milk)
heaping 1/4 c. peanut butter
1 c. powdered sugar

Combine milk and peanut butter in a bowl. Microwave until warm. Whisk in powdered sugar until smooth.


I hope you find some delightful toppings to eat on these super awesome pancakes. Enjoy!

1 comment: