Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sneaky Halloween Deviled Eggs

Flipping through cookbooks is very relaxing for me. Make fun if you will, but I love it. So I went to the library the other day and checked out some cookbooks. Among them was Deceptively Delicious (which I referred to in this post.) Anywho, the whole concept is trying to get kids to eat more nutritious food by sneaking veggies into recipes! It's very intriguing. I saw a recipe in the book for deviled eggs and I thought I'd give it a try, but I tweaked it a little. These deviled eggs are "sneaky" because hidden inside are veggies! Sweet potatoes to be exact so it makes them festive and orange.
Sneaky Halloween Deviled Eggs
6-8 boiled eggs
1 medium baked sweet potato
couple spoonfuls mayonnaise
drizzle of mustard
salt

Peel boiled eggs and cut them in half. Remove yolks and put them in a bowl and place whites on a plate.
To the yolks, add sweet potato, mayonnaise, mustard, and a bit of salt. Mix well until smooth and creamy.
Place a spoonful of yolk mixture into each egg white. Serve with paprika on top if you want it to look more fancy. Keep leftovers in the fridge so that you can make a Halloween egg salad sandwich the next day!
I mashed 2 deviled eggs and spread it onto warm, buttered sour dough bread. Mmmmmmm! I think the idea of sneaking veggies in recipes is a brilliant idea. I might share some more "sneaky" recipes in the future. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment