Thursday, April 18, 2013

Reese-a-roos

When I was dating my hubby, I remember his mom introduced me to Scotcharoos. They are a delicious peanut butter rice crispy treat with a chocolate/butterscotch topping. Since my husband and I are both HUGE peanut butter fanatics, I decided to put my own spin on these bars and call them REESE-a-roos ... get it? Because they're full of Reeses cups. Hahaha, I crack myself up. And I'm sure Reeses is a registered trademark so ... Dear Hershey's Company, please don't sue me!

Reese-a-roos
7 c. corn chex
1 c. corn syrup
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. (heaping) peanut butter (I used Jif)
1 c. Reeses cups, cut into large pieces (I used Reeses Eggs leftover from Easter)
1 (12 oz.) bag milk chocolate chips
1 T. refined coconut oil
1 c. mini Reeses cups, quartered

Measure corn chex into a large mixing bowl.
In a saucepan, combine corn syrup and sugar. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
Add peanut butter to hot sugar syrup.
  Stir well.
 Pour hot mixture over chex.
 Mix well, then gently fold in 1 c. chopped Reeses.
 Reeses will get melty and delicious, but don't overmix it. It's lovely to have chunks of peanut butter cups still somewhat intact.
 Press mixture into a greased OR parchment-lined 9x13" pan.
 Now for the topping, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave for about 1 minute, stirring halfway through.
 Pour chocolate mixture over chex. Spread evenly.
 Sprinkle the top with remaining Reeses cups. I used the Reeses minis that come already unwrapped in the bag.
 
 Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Once chocolate has set, cut into bars.


 I've made these twice in the past week. They're just so dang good. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment