Saturday, January 24, 2009

Easy Dinner: Enchiladas

Okay, so I wanted to start a blog about everyday stuff. I always want to share new recipes and money-saving cooking tips and I figured this would be a great way to do it! Also, I often have random thoughts that I want to verbalize, but they're the kind of random that would sound weird out loud. So I'll write them instead and then I won't feel so dumb! :)

Anyway let's talk food! I don't know about many of you, but I do nearly all the cooking at my house. I will say that there are a few dishes that my husband proudly makes, including this recipe for Chicken Enchiladas. This is one dish that I've actually NEVER prepared since we've been married because he always voluteers. But the other night, dinner time came and he was just too busy. So I made it for the first time. It's so good and SOOOO easy!

Chicken Enchiladas
Sauce:
1 (10.5 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
3/4 c. sour cream
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
salt & pepper
Filling:
1 lb. chicken (cooked and shredded)
1/2 c. bottled salsa
1/2 c. sour cream
salt & pepper
1 lb. shredded cheese
6-8 flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together sauce ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together filling ingredients except the cheese and tortillas. In the bottom of a 13x9x2" baking pan, spread about 1/3 c. of the sauce mixture. Divide the chicken mixture among tortillas, spread each with a spoonful of sauce mixture, and sprinkle each with a little cheese. (You'll have quite a bit of cheese and sauce leftover.) Roll each filled tortilla and place side by side in pan. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 35-40 minutes.

If you want to switch it up a little, you could use pork or beef instead of chicken. And I'm sure lowfat sour cream would work well, too! I'm all about experimenting to see what works. Good luck and enjoy!


1 comment: