Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chewy Oatmeal Date Cookies

This recipe was inspired by a cooking show I saw a few weeks ago. I watched as they made date cookies but I never thought I'd actually make them. After all, I've never made anything with dates before. But in the store that week, a box of dates caught my eye and I thought, "Oh, why not try something new?" (And surprisingly, dates aren't that expensive! I got an 8 oz. box for about $1.50 and they're found near the raisins.) So here is this recipe for Chewy Oatmeal Date Cookies. I hope you like them!!

Chewy Oatmeal Date Cookies

3/4 c. butter, softened
1 1/4 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 c. milk
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. cinnamon
1 c. flour
3 c. oats, uncooked
1 c. chopped dried dates
1/2 c. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and brown sugar and beat with an electric mixer until well blended. Add egg, milk, vanilla, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and mix well. Mix in flour and oats. With a spoon, fold in dates and chocolate chips.
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Super excited about this new blog! I love recipes and trying new things. (We must be related:) So keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete