Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tomato Basil Soup

Okay, so this recipe is not really homemade, but it's quick, yummy, and versatile. I was in the mood for tomato soup and I had some fresh basil on hand and this is what was born.
Tomato Basil Soup
2 cans tomato soup
2 canfuls water
2 T. fresh basil, minced
grated cheese
1 can diced tomatoes (optional)
cooked noodles (optional)
canned beans (optional)
any vegetables (optional)
cooked chicken or pepperoni (optional)

I used fresh minced basil because I love it. You could also use 2 t. dry.
I used fresh mozzarella for my cheese. It's available at most grocery stores and it has a very mild, creamy flavor.
I just cut it up in small squares instead of grating it.
Prepare soup with water. Add basil (and any additional ingredients you like) and heat thoroughly. To serve, put a handful of cheese in the bottom of each bowl and top with hot soup. Garnish with more basil or black pepper. The cheese gets all melty and yummy! Mmmmmm.
I am a sucker for tomato soup. It's filling and healthy! I didn't add any extras to mine this time, but I will in the future. This is such a fun shortcut recipe and you could really add anything you want. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment