Monday, August 13, 2012

Vegan Zucchini Bread

Okay, I know what you might be thinking. No I'm not a vegan, but lately I've been experimenting with vegan and vegetarian recipes. It's actually been really fun! This recipe is heavily adapted from this cake recipe I found. Don't be afraid of vegan recipes. You'll be surprised by how great they can be!


 Vegan Zucchini Bread

2 T. ground flaxseed
6 T. water
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
3 c. finely grated zucchini
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 t. vanilla

In a small bowl, combine flaxseed and water and set aside. (After a few mintues it will turn gelatinous like an egg.) In a large bowl, mix flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. 
 Add zucchini, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and flaxseed mixture.
 Mix well. Mixture might seem thick! (I just love my sweet little helping hands in this picture!)
 Prepare two bread pans by greasing them, laying a sheet of parchment in the bottom, and greasing the parchment.
 Pour batter into prepared pans.
 Bake at 325 F for 45-60 minutes.
This is my lovely kitchen after a day of baking...which is most days. And yes, that is another cake already on the counter. I can't help myself.
 Cool for about 15 minutes before removing from pan.

I personally like this best when it's completely cool. I shared this bread with my mom and she said, "I think people like to pretend that zucchini bread is healthy, but this recipe really IS healthy. You could eat it for breakfast!" And yes, I would totally eat this for breakfast. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment