Friday, March 15, 2013

Huancaina Sauce

Today while I was at my mom's house, she started making this South American sauce for my brother who is coming to visit. He spent two years on a mission in Peru and Bolivia and apparently this is a common Peruvian recipe. It calls for aji amarillo peppers, but I don't know where to find those so instead, I used a couple green bell peppers, one anaheim pepper, and some jalapeno slices. I can't say that it tastes authentic because I've never been to Peru, but it sure was tasty!

Huancaina Sauce
2 T. oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1 anaheim pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz. queso fresco cheese
3/4 c. evaporated milk
4 saltine crackers
8 slices bottled jalapenos (or more if you love heat)
2 t. lime juice (or juice from 1/2 lime)
salt to taste

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, peppers, and garlic.
 Season with a little salt and pepper. Saute for a few minutes or until edges of veggies start to brown.
 Place sauteed veggies and remaining ingredients in a blender.
 Blend for about 40-60 seconds or until well combined.
 Season with more salt to taste and eat right away.
 
 Traditionally, this sauce is served over potatoes.
 But I think my favorite way to eat it was with corn chips.
 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment