Monday, July 29, 2013

Simple Basil Pesto

I've developed a real fondness for pesto. It brings such a fresh and rich flavor to so many dishes. Lucky for me, pesto is super simple to make.
 Fresh basil is pretty much the main ingredient in pesto and it can be a little pricey at the store. So in June I decided that I wanted to grow it. Now, I've tried to grow basil in the past and failed miserably. I have some strange desire to be able to grow a garden someday so year after year I keep on trying... Anyway, this year I bought a little basil plant, put it in a container on my porch, and I haven't killed it!!! I'm so proud.
 

Simple Basil Pesto (slightly adjusted from Blendtec)
2 c. loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1/3 c. olive oil
2 gloves garlic
1/4 c. pine nuts
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
1/4 t. salt
black pepper

Place all ingredients in a blender (magic bullet might work, too) and blend it up.
 And...tada! Fresh pesto.
 I'm totally obsessed with it right now. This is what I've been eating lately: steamed zucchini and/or yellow squash, melted cheese, diced tomatoes (seasoned with a little olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper), and a scoop of pesto on top. So dang good. Now I just need to grow some zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment