Thursday, July 12, 2012

Whole Grain Waffles with Blueberry Syrup

This morning we decided on waffles for breakfast. And since I have a huge bag of blueberries in the freezer from Costco, I thought it might be fun to make blueberry syrup to go with them. My girls each ate two whole waffles! I'd say these were a quite a hit.


Whole Grain Waffles with Blueberry Syrup
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. oats
1/4 c. ground flaxseed
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3 eggs
1/4 c. oil
2 T. honey
2 c. buttermilk
1 c. milk


Mix dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients. Mix and pour into a hot, greased waffle iron.


Blueberry Syrup
2 c. frozen blueberries
1/3 c. pure maple syrup
1/3 c. water
2 T. cornstarch mixed with 2 T. cold water
1 t. almond extract


In a saucepan, mix all ingredients until hot, thick, and bubbley. Serve over waffles.

I have a feeling I'll be making this syrup a lot. It was amazing. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow this looks awesome. What if I made my strawberry pancakes for you and you made this for me? Deal? SO PINNED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!! Deal! :) The amazing thing about this recipe is that my kids LOVE it! They get blueberry syrup all over their clothes, but I'm okay with that if they're eating healthy food. Haha.

    ReplyDelete