Friday, March 4, 2011

Cinnamon Sugar Nuts

I love all kinds of nuts and I got this idea from my husband's aunt. She makes them with just the sugar but I decided to add some cinnamon. They are so good. Next time I think I'll try pecans!
Cinnamon Sugar Nuts
2 c. raw nuts (I used almonds)
1/3 c. turbinado sugar
1 t. cinnamon
generous pinch salt
2 T. water

If you've never seen turbinado sugar, this is what it looks like. It's big crystals are perfect for this recipe.
Mix the sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
In a large pot, heat the nuts over medium-high heat. Stir often so they don't burn. Cook for about 7-9 minutes or until the nuts are softly sizzling and popping.
Remove from heat and stir in the sugar mixture and water. Stir a little. Return to heat on medium-low and stir until water evaporates and the nuts are sticky (about 3-5 minutes.) Spread onto foil and let cool.
These are a fun treat for kids, too. I'm tempted to try a sweet and spicy variety by leaving out the cinnamon and using a little chipotle chile powder ... we'll see! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment