Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sour Cream Cheesecake

I love cheesecakes! Especially when there is a sour cream layer on top. This recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law and I absolutely love it!
Sour Cream Cheesecake
crust:
2 c. crushed graham crackers
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, melted

Combine cracker crumbs, sugar and butter and mix well. Press into a 9" springform pan. Bake at 375 F for 10 minutes. Cool for about 20 minutes.
filling:
3 (8 oz.) blocks cream cheese, softened
3/4 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla

With an electric mixer, combine cream cheese and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth. Pour over crust. Place pan on a cookie sheet (in case it leaks) and bake at 375 F for 35-45 minutes with a pan of water on the bottom rack (this keeps the cheesecake from cracking.)
Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes.
sour cream topping:
2 c. sour cream
1/4 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla

Combine all ingredients and pour over slightly cooled cheesecake. Bake at 425 F for another 5 minutes.
Remove from oven and immediately run a steak knife around the edges to prevent sticking. Cool completely. Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
My mom always taught me that the best way to cut a cheesecake is with dental floss! Seriously, it works without making a huge mess.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I've never had a cheesecake with a sour cream topping - but yours looks very convincing! Saving in my inspiration file!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! You must try it! I'm always tempted to do an even thicker sour cream layer cuz I love it so much! Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cheesecake! Your idea about using the dental floss is genius. I've used it to cut pumpkin rolls but never thought about using it for cake...so smart!

    ReplyDelete