Friday, May 21, 2010

Whole Wheat Bread

Recently I've started making homemade bread instead of buying sliced bread at the store. I feel like it's a much healthier choice for my family because I control all the ingredients. But besides that, I just like it better. There's nothing like the smell of fresh, hot bread coming out of the oven.
I must admit that I've never been a great bread maker. In fact, I've always been a really BAD bread maker so I just figured that it wasn't my thing. But a couple months ago I tried this recipe that I got from my aunt and it actually turned out great! It is simple, healthy, and delicious.

Whole Wheat Bread

4 c. hot water

3/4 c. honey

1 T. salt

1/2 c. gluten

2 T. yeast

1/4 c. oil

9-10 c. whole wheat flour

Mix water, salt, and honey until dissolved. Add oil, gluten and yeast and mix with a wire whisk until smooth. Add about 4 cups flour and mix with spatula or wooden spoon until *smooth. Then add flour 1 cup at a time until dough is pretty stiff (I usually only use 9 c. flour total.) Then with your KitchenAid (or equivalent) mix with a dough hook for 10 minutes more. Divide dough among 4 greased loaf pans. Prick each loaf several time with a fork and let raise in a warm place until doubled. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

*At this point, you can add fun mix-ins such as millet, sunflower seeds, oats, flaxseed, etc. I love to experiment with the mix-ins.

This bread also freezes well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment